Monday, August 20, 2018

Art Date

One of my favorite "dates" is a day at a museum. We took refuge from the heat and humidity last week at the Baltimore Museum of Art. We slowed down, we pondered, we debated compositional choices in hushed tones.

A favorite from the time I was a child...the mosaics from Antioch that ring the museum's central courtyard. 

We chose a rainy day last fall to go to the Susquehanna Art Museum  for one of the most unique shows I've been to. Vintage motorcycles were featured and paired with works from well known artists. Although I find motorcycles only mildly interesting, the concept took on a whole new meaning when a couple who walked into the show just behind us started talking.

The "Mrs." is interested in art. The "Mr." isn't but...the motorcycles lured him in. And guess what, he became interested in the paintings and she spent some time looking at the motorcycle.

What an innovative way to find common ground!




2 comments:

  1. Fun post. I love island life, but it is way too far away from art museums. Have you been to the Visionary Arts Museum in Baltimore? I love that place. Even Bruce will spend time there. If you've never been I highly recommend it for one of your future dates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there but it was probably 10 years ago now. Thank for reminding me about it- we will make that the next "date".
      Yeah I would love to live on an island but I try to remember and appreciate the ease of things such as getting to art museums. And in Baltimore they are all free (except for special exhibits)...so there's no excuse for us not to soak it all in.

      Delete