Monday, August 6, 2018

Airbnb/artist's retreat

I've had several people ask about the Airbnb/artist's retreat we stayed at while in Maine and I enjoyed it so much I feel it deserves more than just a link.

The owner (truly a SuperHost) was ahead of her time, renting out this amazing space before Airbnb even came on the scene I believe. This is one room living (plus bath) at its best, atop a large two car garage that the renter is welcome to use. The cathedral ceiling currently holds a (I think) mylar sculpture that sways every so slightly, and silently, when the ceiling fan is running and artwork adorns most walls.

 


Every need is considered and questions are answered before they are even asked by signs placed strategically around the studio (at the stove, washing machine, tv...). Skylights and windows allow for plenty of natural light even on a foggy day and well into the evening. Because the space is on the second floor and surround by woods, it feels a lot like a tree house. Although not directly on the water, a 2 min. walk on a charming woodland path takes you to a double adirondack chair with a view of the Damariscotta River.




 The studio area blends right into the main living space and is stocked with well organized tools, drawing, painting and collage supplies. There is a utility tub for cleaning up and two six foot, well lit work tables. I spent one evening playing with water soluble chalks until 10:30 pm.  The whole place is completely conducive to creativity and my husband and I both found ourselves saying "I could live here. I could live here".

Hey, look who that is! 



Joy, the owner lives in a house through the trees behind the studio and while she's available, she also allowed us all the privacy we wanted.

She has some open dates at the end of September (hint, hint) and Maine should be glorious then with comfortable days and chilly nights. Businesses and restaurants will still be open but the bulk of the tourist crowd will have left. Put it this way, if our lives did not revolve around the public school year, I would be renting that last week in September for sure.


2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that there are supplies to use...I often go on vacation only to wish I had some of my supplies with me! Sounds like you'll be going back again. Thank you for sharing your magical experience.

    ReplyDelete